Thursday, January 13, 2011

First week at the Vanderbilt University

Hi, everybody!
My name is Teresa Limpo and I am a PhD student at the University of Porto. I am also a GEDS fellow and for the next four months I will tell you everything about my exchange experience at the Vanderbilt University. For those who are not familiar with it, GEDS is a transatlantic consortium on early childhood intervention. This international cooperation between EU and US allows graduate students to study in a partner university during one semester. I am very pleased to be one of those privileged students.

Vanderbilt University (hereafter VU) is located in Nashville (State of Tennessee). It was founded on 1873 thanks to Commodore Cornelius Vanderbilt who provided its initial $1 million funding. Today, VU is a private research university that comprises 10 schools. You can check some quick facts about it here.
I am in Nashville since January 6 and a lot of things have already happened! I have not got the time to go to the downtown, but as soon as I go there I will give you a personalized description of it. For curious readers, please click here. Besides I don’t know the city, I am starting to know pretty well the campus. I am studying at the Peabody College of Education & Human Development – Teaching and Learning Department. During this week I woke up very early (jet lag was a great help!) and walked through the snow to the Wyatt Center – Peabody Research Institute. This is a beautiful building with enormous Corinthian columns (see below) and comfortable carpets. My first thought when I entered in it was: in a place like this, who doesn’t want to go to work?


Don’t miss the next newsletter. I will talk about my first experiences inside Vanderbilt classrooms!

No comments:

Post a Comment