Thursday, March 14, 2013

First month report from Chapel-Hill, Spring 2013

Hello everybody,

My name is Marisa Filipe and I'm from the University of Porto. I am completely settled down in Chapel Hill. Indeed, it has now been one month since I arrived. I am also in the Global Education and Developmental Studies (GEDS) exchange program and I will share with you many experiences at the University of North Carolina at Chapel-Hill (UNC-CH).

First of all, here are some pictures of the city and campus.




There are lots of things going on at UNC-CH and I’m trying to enroll all of them.
I am attending five courses:

-       Autism Seminar: This seminar is for masters, doctoral and post-doctoral students whose career plans include autism research. Topics reflect input from active autism researchers on important content to prepare students for collaborative, interdisciplinary, and translational research related to autism. 

-       Statistical Analysis of Educational Data II: This course presents a linear model approach to the analysis of data collected in educational settings.  Topics include multiple regression, analysis of variance, and analysis of covariance; using the computer package R.

-       Functional Neuroanatomy: Functional neuroanatomy encompasses a broad range of knowledge of the anatomical structure & function of the human nervous system. The topics are explored using molecular and cell biology, physiology, medical imaging, and psychology.

-       Child Development and Disability: This course examines typical and atypical manifestations of cognitive, social/emotional and communicative development in children. The course draw on theory and contributions to the clinical and empirical literature to examine the development of infants, children and youth with sensory, motor, cognitive and/or affective impairments. 

-       Teaching in the American Classroom: This course is offered through the Graduate School at UNC Chapel Hill as part of the Preparing International Teaching Assistants Program. The course focuses on cross-cultural communication, English pronunciation, basic teaching skills, and topics necessary for effective interaction in the American classroom. 

Also, I have the opportunity to attend to several seminars and short courses about different topics. You can see the following links for details:

Additionally, I visited the TEACCH Autism Program (http://www.teacch.com/). Specifically, I saw the preschool intervention groups and I observed one day of diagnostic.
As I’m interested in Autism research, I think that I’m "in heaven". The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill was the premier public institution in the publication of research papers on autism. http://iacc.hhs.gov/publications-analysis/july2012/index.shtml
More news soon…
Marisa

No comments:

Post a Comment